The big mystery: the feminine equivalent of “guy.” The common word for a male of any age. The male species as a whole. But what’s the female equivalent?
- Girls: Used to refer to young females. The opposite of boys.
- Women: Used to refer to fully grown females. Opposite of men.
- Ladies: A more old-fashioned term for the feminine species as a whole. Opposite of gentlemen.
- Gals: This one has a better case for it, as there is no immediate masculine opposite. In fact, some consider this to be the answer to the age-old question. However, I, personally, think it sounds stupid. Has a sort of hick feel to it.
- Chicks: My personal favorite. I, myself, refer to other females this way. The masculine opposite may be something equally laid back like dudes, but that’s okay.
So, when I refer to males as guys, I will consider the female equivalent to be chicks. This is my personal preference, and in no way means that my choice is right for everyone. You can sound like a hick if you want to, if that’s your style. But not me. I have my answer to the age-old question.